I hate wheatgrass. The smell alone sends me gaging, the flavor gives me chills. While I juice it, I hold my breath and breathe only through my mouth. That’s how bad it is. My children recoil, my husband runs away.
But, knowing what I know, I do drink it. Not always though. I go back and forth and think of a million reasons why today is an ok day not to drink it.
Wheatgrass is one of the cornerstones of the Hippocrates Health Institute’s Life Transformation program, where I studied last spring for nine weeks and where I obtained my Health Educator certificate. Check out If you’re not drinking wheatgrass, you’re not on the program. Simple.
Ann Wigmore, the founder of Hippocrates more than sixty years ago in Boston, healed herself from terrible diseases with wheatgrass. Some of its benefits are:
– Wheatgrass is one of the richest natural resources of vitamins A, C, D, K and B complex. It is also a natural source of Laetril (B-17)
– Wheatgrass is the richest source of chlorophyll, which is the “blood” of plants, with a molecular structure that is almost identical to the hemoglobin molecule of the human blood. A shot of wheatgrass is, literally, like a blood transfusion!
– Wheatgrass contain beta carotene, which acts as a scavenger against harmful molecules such as smoke, air pollution or other toxins.
– Wheatgrass is one of the most direct and highly concentrated forms of the sun’s energy, and it is the optimal energizer.
– Just two ounces of wheatgrass juice is equivalent to 5 pounds of fresh vegetables and contains 103 vitamins and minerals.
-Wheatgrass juice helps to increase the enzyme level in our cells, which aids in the rejuvenation of the body.
There are many more benefits, these are just a glimpse. What I wonder is: Why don’t we hear more about wheatgrass? Of all the Raw foodists I follow on Youtube no one ever talks about wheatgrass except for Brian Clement, current director of Hippocrates. So what gives? Do raw foodists, the one’s actually thriving on this lifestyle, drink it regularly? When I watch those ever entertaining videos “What I ate today as a raw foodist” I have yet to see any of those popular Youtube stars mention wheatgrass. Which leaves me wondering: If they seem to be thriving and they don’t drink wheatgrass, should I continue to do so?
I understand the benefits of drinking wheatgrass, intellectually speaking, that is. I just hate it, though.
So, are you following a Raw lifestyle? Are you drinking wheatgrass? Do you grow your own?
If you would like to learn how to grow wheatgrass and are afraid to start, please watch my Youtube video tutorial as demonstrated by my two girls! Shoot, if two little girls can grow wheatgrass, so can you!